The Benefits of Light Therapy During The Fall and Winter
As the clocks turn back an hour and we head deeper into the fall and winter seasons, the decrease in sunlight can affect the mind and body in various ways. It’s common for people to experience disrupted sleep, a drop in serotonin levels, changes in mood, and low energy levels.
Thankfully, holistic treatments like light therapy can benefit your mental well-being and skin health, while effectively managing or completely alleviating seasonal depression. At Release Well-Being Center, light therapy in our Sun Sauna is a member favorite to combat the adverse effects of this seasonal shift.
What Is Light Therapy?
Light therapy is a type of treatment that can target specific ailments through light, whether that be fluorescent, halogen, sunlight, or light-emitting diodes (LEDs). While it is renowned for its skincare applications, light therapy can also minimize the onset of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) associated with the colder months. The light emitted causes the brain to produce serotonin and boost your mind’s happy endorphins–making it ideal for the season. The healing light therapy can also help even your skin tone and control acne.
Light Therapy in Our Sun Sauna
Enjoy “filtered sunshine” without harmful UV rays! Our Sun Sauna features 10,000 LUX of natural visible light, the closest thing to natural sunlight without the added risk. Added dry heat therapy in the form of infrared waves, amplified by halogen heaters, provides additional benefits. Ahead are a few examples of how one session can improve your health.
- Boosted serotonin levels, which increases metabolism and improves mood
- Increased levels of Vitamin D for improved bone health and lower incidence of anxiety, depression, and allergies
- Improved sleeping patterns due to a reset of circadian rhythms
- Increased blood flow, oxygenation, and regeneration of blood promotes detoxification and improved functioning of major organs
How To Support Your Body Through The Seasonal Changes
The year is drawing to a close, and sweater weather is officially here! Although there’s much to enjoy during the holiday season, it’s common to grapple with challenges associated with the seasonal shift. For Release Well-Being Center Executive Vice President, Dawn Spann, cooler temperatures and shorter days are a great reminder to focus on her wellness goals.
“Shorter days with decreased amount of sunlight makes me want my cozy blanket, a cup of tea and a great book,” said Spann. This season reminds me it’s important to focus my wellness goals to include light therapy modalities.”
“It is a safe, non-invasive way to help with serotonin levels and regulate your circadian rhythms. I notice increased energy, better quality of sleep and improved focus and productivity. During this time of year I need this the most, or I would be too tempted to stay snuggled up for one more chapter!”
If you’re looking to continue management at home, there are a few things you can do to emulate and enhance the effect of light therapy. There are light boxes that emit 10,000 LUX light for home use. For those who don’t have access to a light box, an early morning walk can provide similar benefits – after sunrise, the sun emits anywhere from 10,000 to 50,000 LUX. As little as 15-30 minutes outside in the morning can significantly improve your mood daily. While light therapy is one of the most effective ways to manage unwanted seasonal symptoms, making other lifestyle adjustments can also help.
- Engage in regular physical activity. Keep active to limit anxiety, dress, and depression. Our wellness providers can provide you with personal support, so you’re able to come up with and stick to an exercise routine.
- Establish a daily routine to regulate your body’s internal clock.
- Eat mood-boosting foods: our favorites include leafy greens, fish, and nuts.
- Leverage community! Spend time with family and friends. Participate in activities that nurture your well-being and add to your quality of life.
Release Sun Sauna
At Release, at the center of all our offerings is you. If you’re feeling fatigued or simply unlike yourself due to the change in season, try our Sun Sauna. It is part of the Bliss experience. To book a Bliss pass, contact us at (508) 986-2330, visit our website at releasewellbeingcenter.com or download our Release Well-Being Center app.