Summer is pretty fun right? Hiking in the woods, biking down trails, relaxing by the beach, socializing on the patio. It’s all pretty great. September means the end of vacation mode and getting the kids back to school, diving into work and getting back into the groove. It’s also a great time to begin prioritizing your self-care. Here are 5 tips to help you make an easy transition into the Fall season:
- Renew your commitment! To make a change, you have to fully commit yourself to what you are going to do. You can’t just wish or hope or try. You will. You will go for a half hour walk every day, or start training for a race, or going to yoga class twice a week. You will tell your friends and family that this is something that you’re doing. You’re determined. It’s happening. You will. Once that is set, it’s just a matter of doing.
- Ease into the new routine. Commitment is important but let’s ease into it. Don’t over commit yourself, now is not the time to do that. Give yourself and your family some time to ease into your new routine, rather than trying to force every change at one time. It can take time for a new routine to come to feel “normal,” especially if you’ve been on a break from routines over the summer.
- Schedule, Schedule Schedule! Try keeping a schedule and sticking to it. This will save you stress especially if you are a busy person. Put your activities in a schedule format, don’t forget to schedule in your exercise and self-care activities.
- Be flexible. Now that you’ve carved out your schedule and what you want your routine to be like, understand that the real world doesn’t always work that way. It’s very important to be realistic, and let your routine evolve over time. If you find that something isn’t working for you, fix it! Don’t feel like you have to stick to something that isn’t effective or enjoyable. There are somethings that you can be flexible with and somethings that you want to protect. For example, if it’s important to you, you may want to protect your exercise time as a non-negotiable.
- Leave time for spontaneity and fun! No matter how busy you are, you have to find time to enjoy yourself. As important as routines are for children and families, it’s important to maintain some flexibility in your routines to allow for spontaneous adventures! Don’t let a rigid schedule get in the way of having fun sometimes!
DON’T RELY ON MOTIVATION
Motivation comes and goes. You might be pumped about getting active right now, but what about next week? What about when you’re all snuggled in to your warm bed on Wednesday morning? The solution? Stop relying on motivation alone. You’re not always going to feel motivated and that’s okay. That’s why focusing on forming a habits its so crucial. Because once it becomes a habit, once it becomes a normal part of your routine, you won’t need motivation. You’ll just do it because it’s what you do!